Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Update

I have not written for a while.  My idea of my role in the fire service has evolved and I couldn't write anything about it until now.

Here is the update on where I am going next.  I will be a cheese maker but not at the farm I was applying to.  That farm apparently had some tough times and was not able to make a move on the job.  So I applied and got a job at another farm working under a very experienced cheese maker.  I will also learn how to make yogurt.  I am excited about this opportunity and it means some security for my family.

I originally started this blog as a way to track my progress as a career firefighter.  It does not seem that this is the direction I am going in.  I have wondered if I should get rid of the blog.  I am realizing however, that life is not as linear or black and white as I would like for it to be.  I tend to be all or nothing about my life. So was the case with my aspirations to being a firefighter.  I am beginning to learn the value of being a small town firefighter.

For a long time I did not like some of the aspects of the small town fire department.  Unfortunately there are firefighters that don't take the job as seriously as I think we all should.  I mean lets be honest, if you rely on volunteerism, are you going to turn someone away?  On a small department you have to take what you can get.  On the other hand there are a lot of good things that come from becoming a volunteer.  I can be a firefighter and have time to pursue other interests at the same time.  I'm sure I'll philosophize more on this in the future, but for now I'm satisfied to be a part of what I already know and to find ways of becoming as professional as I can within the framework of any organization I join.

I have decided to continue to post to this blog.  I am still ADVANCING THE LINE in my own little world of fire service and as long as I keep committed to the work I can create a life within fire rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page
EmergiBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf