Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Naysayers

As I've made my decision to become a career firefighter, I've talked with a lot of people in and out of industry.  I have to say that everyone has said that it will be hard.  I find this to be a bit frightening but not a deterrent.  I think you have to understand each person's frame of reference to really grasp the reality of why they say something.  I have heard that it is hard because it is so competitive, and in the same conversation the person will admit that they never went to the physical abilities test (nor trained for it I'm sure).  People speak very doubtfully about my success.  It's kind of annoying.  I suppose this is why I'm not looking for work in western Mass.  It will be far more likely to land something out east.  There are only two or three full time career fire departments in my entire county!  No wonder people are such naysayers.  I think I have the determination to see this through though.  I just have to figure out how to move to the Boston area with a family of four, get a job (preferably EMS), establish residency, find good schools, start a medic class, find good daycare, and wait to be hired or take the civil service again (which ever comes first).  I don't see the big deal.

3 comments:

  1. If you want it, you can do it. Ask my husband. He started out EMS, became a medic, tested for his department, did the physical agility test, went through the interview process and then edured an entire year hiring freeze.

    And then it happened.

    It can take time. It does take patience. But anything worth having is worth fighting for, which I'm sure you know.

    Again, best of luck! Looking forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your words of support. It really means a lot at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! These guys say so:

    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do." -- Dale Carnegie

    "It is much easier to be critical that to be correct." --Benjamin Disreli

    Good luckon getting what you want from life :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Locations of visitors to this page
EmergiBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf